Monday, May 05, 2008

Anna's List of Fav Butt-Kicking Movies--Buyer Beware


I was asked in the comments of the last post for a list of kick-ass movies as a potential source of self-help therapy for those days you want to see a bad guy get hammered. I'll put a caveat emptor here. Everybody, do your own research on a movie. Imdb.com is a good place to do that. It's your own damn fault if you watch a movie and don't like it. Not mine. So don't complain to me if you end up watching something I recommend and you hate it. I'll try to warn ya on movies I think some may not appreciate as much as I do. I have a few twisted tastes in movies...so I'll try to keep that in mind. I'm making this a post since it is easier to put in links...and I can edit to correct errors if necessary.

It seems that the list of movies I've come up with fall into at least three different categories. (1) is the serious butt-kicking flick where the 'bad guy' gets it good usually after a lot of bullets, bombs and stuff blowing up. (2) the 'bad guy gets his comeuppance' movies which usually features less action but the bad guy definitely doesn't win in the end. The bad guy may not die, but definitely he loses what he was after. (3) a combination of one of the two themes above with a goodly dose of humor. I'm going to put a "1", "2", and/or "3" depending on what category I think a particular movie falls into. Here we go:

True Lies (1 & 3)
The Incredibles (1 & 3)
Princess Bride (2 & 3)
The Mummy (1 & 3)
The Mummy Returns (1 & 3)
Stardust (2 & 3)
Jesse Stone movies (2)
Ever After (2)
Spiderman 1 and 2 (1 & 3)
Batman Begins(1)
Alien (1)
Aliens (1)
Alien 4 (1 & 3)
Man in the Iron Mask (2)
Count of Monte Cristo (2)
Mask of Zorro (1 & 2)
Speed (1 & 2)
Underworld (1)
Moll Flanders (2)
300 (1)
Bourne Identity and Supremacy (1)
24 TV series (1)

If you don't like violence then you probably shouldn't watch anything with a (1). If you don't like sci-fi with scary monsters then stay away from Alien series of movies. I like all the Alien movies of which there are four. But I think the best ones are the second and the fourth. There was quite a bit of humor in the fourth one, but that doesn't mean there wasn't lots of gross alien stuff and some gore. Joss Whedon helped write the script for the fourth movie and his humor was definitely there. Speaking of Joss Whedon reminds me of the tragedy known as the series "Firefly". That series was canceled after only one season and this is a crime. If you haven't seen the series, if you can conceptualize a sci-fi series with a western type feel to it (gotta see it to appreciate it), if you like very witty and humorous and smart writing and a uniquely told story...then watch the series. Lots and lots of bad guys getting their butts kicked. If you watch the series and LOVE it...which you will...then watch the movie Serenity. The movie wraps up the TV series. It pulls together some of the dangling strings left after the end of the TV series and you'll like it just as much as the series...if you liked the series. Husband just reminded me to tell you that the cast includes a high-class call girl. If this offends you, stay away. My husband is also freaking me out about recommending any of the Alien movies. Especially the fourth one. He agrees with me that, by far, the best of the series is the second one. The fourth one is a really iffy recommendation. The final half hour of the fourth one could be very disturbing for some. I became a fan of the movies after watching the second one back when it came out in 1986. So, in my more 'formative' years I formed a deep attachment to "Ellen Ripley". She kicks alien butt. So, naturally, I enjoy all the movies in the series. Including the fourth with its kinda gross and disturbing final scenes. Please, don't watch it if you are at all delicate in your movie tastes.

Underworld features vampires and werewolves. If you don't like creepy, scary creature effects and can't tolerate some gore then stay away. Not for everybody. The Mummy and The Mummy Returns also has some gross effects and/or scary effects. They are kind of campy movies, but high quality and lots of humor. 300 has a lot of violence, and there are three sensual scenes. You've been warned. There is featured a bigger-than-life narcissist who definitely loses in the end. The King of Persia. "Moll Flanders" is about a prostitute. So, yeah, there are some sensual scenes. There is another version of "Moll Flanders" that follows the book more closely, but it is a downer in the end (like the book). So I like the more Hollywood version where the main character ends well which is the one linked to above. I like happy endings. Who cares about the book. When someone rewrites fiction and makes it better I never complain.

The "24" TV series is not for you if you can't handle an occasional terrorist getting tortured. Jack Bauer is on a very tight schedule and if a terrorist ends up in his hands and Bauer is trying to save the world, well, the terrorist may get a bit roughed up. That totally works for me. Bad guys are very dispensable in my world view. Tough shit evil terrorist.

I only recently discovered the made-for-TV movies with Tom Selleck as the main character "Jesse Stone" based on the novels by Robert B. Parker. The first one is "Stone Cold". Selleck's character is a flawed but good man who has a knack for getting the sneaky bad guys. The movies are beautifully set in Maine. Made for TV but theater quality. There is some sensuality in some of these...but only a little.

There, now that I've told you more about myself than I really like to by my movie recommendations, hope you can find something you like on the list. Remember, butt-kicking movies means there is going to be violence throughout. If you can't handle violence then you aren't really into "butt-kicking" movies. Take responsibility for preserving your own sensibilities. There is no accounting for "taste", as they say, so just cuz you like my blog doesn't mean you'll like all the movies I do.

Speaking of movie tastes...I watched a movie based on a radio talk show host's recommendation last year. This host had recommended movies and TV series before that I have really liked. I watched this particular movie with growing horror. (It is so bad I don't even want to admit I've seen it and therefore am not naming it.) I absolutely, totally and completely hated and reviled the movie! I was shocked and annoyed because I couldn't come up with one redeeming feature of the movie. There was a definite disconnect between this host's tastes and mine on that one. Good grief. It took me about two weeks to not feel annoyed at this host for such a crappy recommendation. This person didn't even warn that some might not like the movie or name any of its objectionable themes. Which is why I'm trying to give you some idea of what the movies are about so you can avoid the ones that might offend you. I feel I'm taking a real risk offending people by recommending movies that I think have some interesting, redeeming or satisfying aspects...cuz you may see it very differently. By the way, it was my own damn fault in the end. I should have done more research instead of going solely by this person's recommendation. I truly was mostly annoyed at myself.

The over-arching and unifying theme of most of these movies is justice. Like many of you, I've seen precious little real justice dished out to the 'bad guys' in my life. That is usually the way of life. So, I like seeing the baddies going down...and going down hard...in movies. It satisfies a part of my mind that dearly desires justice. If not pure justice, then at least the decent folks getting some kind of justice. If not that, then at least escaping the predations of the bad guys. It is very American to want justice...so I'm sure it is a cultural thing too.

Sheesh. I'm getting carried away trying to protect ya'll from my movie opinions. I'll stop now. You're all grown-ups. You'll probably survive my movie picks. Holding my breath and crossing my fingers I'll hit the publish button. eeeeekkkkk!

P.S. If you've seen any of the movies I've listed and loved or hated them, feel free to write your reviews for the benefit of others. Just, please, be kind to your friendly blogger in the process. I feel like I'm putting myself out there and ain't anxious to get my necked chopped at. T'wouldn't be nice since I'm only trying to give the peeps what they've asked fer!!

[Icon is Mal from "Firefly"]

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your choices! I've seen almost all of them. I loved Serenity, although I never watched Firefly the series. I should check it out.

If you like these kinds of movies, I would recommend the movie Tombstone to you if you don't mind my doing so. It's a Hollywood butt-kicking bad-guy-gets-it blockbuster. I agree with you, you should do research first before watching it. Tombstone has some violence and gore. I liken it to Underworld in regard to level of violence. But my tastes are probably different than yours. But I love Tombstone (and I'm a girl) and I even got the DVD for my birthday. Plus, Kurt Russel is pretty cute getting the bad guys. :)

I would also recommend Gladiator with Russell Crowe. It has violence and one really bad scene where you should probably close your eyes (I do, even though I know what happens). But the end it so fantastic. Despite the one bad scene, I've seen that movie at least 4 times.

Anonymous said...

Stardust is my new favourite movie. It used to be Princess Bride, (I could quote you just about every line from that movie. 'Inconceivable!')

I loved in particular that the witch pretends to be so distressed over her sister's deaths at the end and you almost believe her. I was sitting yelling at the TV, 'don't believe her, she's a complete narcissist, she's lying, she's lying'. Yeah, that's a good movie.

We recently introduced our kids to the first 'Predator' movie, which I thought was so violent when it first came out, but now it just looks really tame, especially to our kids who kind of think its really cool that their parents watched this movie before they were born, and were raised with things like Spiderman and Star Wars etc.

Only one I might put a caution on is Batman Begins, which has a few really freaky scenes about hallucinations/insanity which always makes me feel really weird and strange and stays with me for a while. I think after spending so much time with a family (and church) which convinced you that insanity was normal, you kind of hate anything to do with stuff that reminds you of that. THe rest of the movie was fantastic though. Christian Bale is the best batman I think.

Anna Valerious said...

Hey, thanks, adrienne. I will check out Tombstone sometime. I had heard about that movie and thought before I should watch it...then forgot to do so. Gladiator. I watched it shortly after it came out on DVD. That's been some time ago now. I don't clearly remember it...and therefore I don't remember why it didn't thrill me. I may watch it again, though.

Anna Valerious said...

HA! Jordie, I love hearing about your new favorite. Stardust is our new family fav too! We too can recite Princess Bride almost by heart. When we watched Stardust we couldn't believe how we found something that reminded us of Princess Bride...and we like it even better. We have never done this: we watched Stardust again about five days after our first watching. I totally love (to hate) the evil witch sisters because they are SO narcissistic. And they so get it in the end. Old witchy bitches.

Well, this is fun. I love hearing what other people like out there. Keep it comin.

Anonymous said...

One b-kicker movie I liked was "Delta Force" with Chuck Norris, Lee Marvin. The music is great too. It does the job. And, yes I liked the Aliens, but missed the 4th. What is it about that movie? I think we admire the heroine who just stands up to the beast and despite being betrayed gets the job done.

Anonymous said...

Just a few more....I know I'm dating myself, but "Pale Rider", anything with Clint Eastwood. All the Dirty Harry movies. Am not advocating the violence, but these bad guys really are asking for it!!

Anna Valerious said...

Am not advocating the violence, but these bad guys really are asking for it!!

I don't think anyone is advocating violence by recommending butt-kick movies. Some of us recognize peace is often obtained through superior fire-power. *grin* You remind me of one of our favorite scenes in "True Lies". Arnold Schwarzenegger's character is captured and just had truth serum injected. His wife is captured with him and has only minutes before learned that hubby is an uncover spy. All their marriage she has thought he was some boring computer geek. She seizes her moment while the bad guys are briefly out of the room waiting for the drugs to take effect. She asks him a question or two. Then gets to asking him, "have you ever killed anybody." Arnold fixes his glazed eyes on her and answers, "Yeah......but dey were all baaad." Cracks us up every time. That describes the movies we like most...the ones where the bad guys get killed...cuz 'dey were all bad'. Heh.

I like the Dirty Harry movies too...although it has been eons since I've seen 'em. "Go ahead, make my day." Classic line from a classic character. A piece of Americana.

So, what IS in a heart? said...

300 is EXCELLENT! As for the other movies, well, yea, we have different tastes, BUT I do tend to like sci-fi/fantasy, but that's mostly in book form.

I'm sort of weird with horror. The ones I like the best tend to be the one where the "bad guys" win, and yet, I sometimes get upset at that. Weird...Yet with others, I LOVE it when the "good guys" win. I guess it depends on the genre and the movie. With Star Wars, Palpatine was ALWAYS my favorite ever since I was little girl. Evil, sure, but brilliant and powerful. I've always loved him.

Jeannette Altes said...

*Grinning* Good list . . .

True Lies (1 & 3) - Loved it (want it)
The Incredibles (1 & 3) - Yeah (want it)
Princess Bride (2 & 3) - a must (own it)
The Mummy (1 & 3) - liked it
The Mummy Returns (1 & 3) - liked it
Stardust (2 & 3) - haven't seen it yet
Jesse Stone movies (2) - Good stuff
Ever After (2) - A favorite (own it)
Spiderman 1 and 2 (1 & 3) - Yep
Batman Begins(1) - Yep
Alien (1) - Yep
Aliens (1) - go get 'em, Ripley!
Alien 4 (1 & 3) - haven't seen this one yet...
Man in the Iron Mask (2) - Yep
Count of Monte Cristo (2) - a favorite (own it)
Mask of Zorro (1 & 2) - Yep (want it)
Speed (1 & 2) - oh, yeah (want it)
Underworld (1) - haven't seen it
Moll Flanders (2) - haven't seen it
300 (1) - haven't seen it
Bourne Identity and Supremacy (1) favorites (own them + Ultimatum)
24 TV series (1) - used to record it...


Other ones I liked ... (I'll borrow your system...;-)

Eraser (1 & 3)
Mission Impossible series (1) (3 is the best, I think)
Matrix (1) (A lot of language, fair warning, but boys do the bad guys get it! I haven't seen either of the sequals)
Chain Reaction (1)
Timeline (1)
Runaway Jury (2)
The Client (2)
Paycheck (half way between 1 & 2)
Minority Report (half way between 1 & 2)
Cellular (2)
The Interpreter (2) (Has some disturbing scenes at the beginning)
Ella Enchanted (2 & 3) (A wonderful twist on the Cinderella story and oh how the Narcissistic stepmother & sisters get it in the end - especially the alternate extended ending on the DVD!)
And yes, the Harry Potter movies - The villain is a full blown malignant narcissist (there are some other narcissists in the movie that get their comeuppance as well) and the main on really gets it in the end...

Okay, that's enough! :-)

Thanks for sharing - your tastes are fine. I like Firefly, too. I also liked (like) The Dead Zone and Numb3rs.

Geez! Enough already. I'll quit now. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much, Anna, for the list of movies. And thanks so much for answering so fast. If I find a movie too violent or just not my type, my husband is sure to like it!

Thanks also to all the other bloggers as well for their recommendations.

Anonymous said...

I know you this is still about b-kicker movies, what about episodic tv? I believe the nation is waiting for "Benjamin Linus" on Lost to get his day. He is the master manipulator. All narcissists must have lined up for his conferences.

So, what IS in a heart? said...

With the Matrix, the quality kind of goes downhill with the sequels, but they are still worth seeing if you're into the series.

I suggest Kill Bill volumes 1 and 2 as well. They are very enjoyable if you like that sort of thing. Nice revenge movie.

Anonymous said...

Iron Man! There is something just sooooo satisfying about seeing terrorists get engulfed by endless wall of fire courtesy of the flamethrowing Iron Man #1.

Then gets to asking him, "have you ever killed anybody." Arnold fixes his glazed eyes on her and answers, "Yeah......but dey were all baaad."

I need to see True Lies again. I recently discovered Dexter, the serial killer that kills other killers. Ever since I learned about narcissism and that both parents are narcissists, I found myself a heck less squeamish about bad guys getting their's. Dexter is my latest vicarious avenger.

Anna Valerious said...

Katherine,

I enjoyed your list of movies and your reviews of my pics. Seems we have very similar tastes. I liked many on your list...some of them I haven't seen. I'll check those out sometime. Thanks for the input. :o)

Oh, we don't own Bourne Ultimatum yet. We went to see it in the theater. Oh. Man. I have never gotten motion sickness in a theater before! Yikes. The extreme shaky-cam technique just about wiped me out. It took me a little bit to figure out why I was feeling so sick. Then I felt sick to my stomach for two hours afterward. I hope it doesn't have that effect watching it at home. Probably won't. In the theater there is no where to look to get away from the picture...it fills ones peripheral vision as well as direct. Other than that...it was an excellent and tightly cohesive sequel to the previous two and brilliantly done.

Anna Valerious said...

The Showtime series "Dexter". I guess I will admit to having recently started watching it. And enjoying it. Keep in mind, people, I have reams of true crime books about serial killers. Why? Cuz there is justice in the end. The lowest form of humanity (in my opinion) is the serial killer. Dexter is unrealistic objectively. But they create a scenario that works for suspending disbelief while watching it. A serial killer who only kills other human "monsters". I can work with that premise. "But dey were all baaaad..." Yeah, it is a fantasy scenario that I can enjoy.

Anonymous said...

True Lies (1 & 3) Good movie
The Incredibles (1 & 3) Loved it even though I'm an adult
Princess Bride (2 & 3) One of my fav's-when my 9 year old daughter was 2 she had it memorized. It was hilarious to hear her in her carseat saying, "You killed my fader (she couldn't say father) prepare to die!" I was afraid she was going to say it in public.
The Mummy (1 & 3) wasn't that wild about The Mummy
The Mummy Returns (1 & 3) didn't see it
Stardust (2 & 3) haven't seen it yet, but have been wanting to, glad to hear it is like Princess Bride
Jesse Stone movies (2) YES! Beautiful scenery, love the movies
Ever After (2) haven't seen it, want to
Spiderman 1 and 2 (1 & 3) saw the first one only so far, I liked it
Batman Begins(1) Love Batman Begins, he is the best batman yet! So easy on the eyes!
Alien (1) never seen these, not into alien movies
Aliens (1)
Alien 4 (1 & 3)
Man in the Iron Mask (2)Good movie
Count of Monte Cristo (2) haven't seen it
Mask of Zorro (1 & 2) Good movie
Speed (1 & 2) Love looking at Keanu Reeves
Underworld (1)Haven't seen it
Moll Flanders (2)want to see it
300 (1) Awesome movie! I bought this one
Bourne Identity and Supremacy (1) haven't seen these
24 TV series (1) haven't seen these

Some ones that I like:
Tombstone - is a great one, it was a neighborhood cult show for us for a while. Several of us from out block would get together and watch it on weekends. Quoting it as we watched it.
Narnia, The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - I love the cinematophography(sp?). The second one is coming out this month.
Constantine - Also a Keanu Reeves movie.

Thanks for the movie recommendations!

Anonymous said...

This is great! Thanks so much for listing and commenting....

Anna....I also appreciate that you mentioned you have tons of true crime and serial killer books. I thought something was wrong with me because I read them too...not to mention anything on TV involving forensics etc....Seriously, I kept wondering "What the hell?" NOW...it makes sense to me! Justice. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Ooh! Ooh! True Lies is my absolute favorite movie of all time. I loved the characters, loved the plot, loved the humor. I saw it in the theater and sneaked back on my lunch hour to watch it again the next week! I just wish the Governator would take a break from governating and make another one!

Anna Valerious said...

True Lies was at the top of my list for a reason! It is my favorite action flick. I held out hope for a sequel until Arnold took the Governator job. I was also hoping for another Terminator sequel...alas. Not to be. At least, not with Arnold in it. And it just ain't a Terminator movie without him. Unless....they could get Vin Diesel to do it. :o)

Anonymous said...

Anna, I am not sure if you would know, or would think it appropriate to inform us, but what has happened to Kathy Krajco's blog? I read yours, and hers, regularly, and have not been able to find any reference to why she is not blogging. Thank you for any light you can shed. jewell

Anna Valerious said...

Anna, I am not sure if you would know, or would think it appropriate to inform us, but what has happened to Kathy Krajco's blog?

I don't have any information about Kathy. I have also noticed that she hasn't blogged for weeks now. I hope she is okay and will be back soon.

Anonymous said...

Oh Anna, I know right now you are focusing on Mother's Day, but I need to whine about dealing with my soon-to-be-ex N-husband. I wish I could walk away from him, but we have a 9 year old daughter together and he's trying to get full custody of her and I want joint managing conservatorship.
When we started dating 13 years ago we met at a singles group of the same church in Houston. We were regular singles though and did not adhere to the many things we should have done, like saving sex for marriage, we went out drinking regularly and he smoked pot. I would go to his house and spend the night on weekends and bring my 5 year old daughter from my first marriage with me. (she slept in the living room on the couch.)
After we got married we still drank an partied for many years. But we also regularly at attended church and studied the Bible. We had a daughter together and we moved to Waco, TX 7 years ago so I could stay home with the girls. I stayed home for 2 years and in the mean time we attended Bible Study Fellowship and church regularly. David quit smoking pot and drank less and less. And has barely drank the last couple years except when he was around his old college buddies.
I left him 8 months ago and now he is doing everything he can to make me look bad. He says I'm an alcoholic, that I'm not a good mother, that I've done nothing to be a good mother to our 9 year old the last 8 months. (Which he is not paying any money to me, so I can't do anything for her hardly.) He put in the divorce paperwork that I am not to have men spend the night or have men spend the night any time Grace, (our 9 yr old) is with me. He only put that in there to insinuate I was doing that, which of course I am not and will not be doing. He is constantly using intimidation techniques on me. He said in the divorce paperwork that I can't manage money, so he doesn't want to give me any and on and on.
When we lived in Houston I had worked in the Oil and Gas Business for 15 years as a geological technician. I don't have a degree, I had only worked my way up in the business, learning evertying I could to make myself valuable and to earn more money. I didn't receive money from my first husband either, so I was trying to provide for my first daughter and myself. My N-husband does have a degree, he's an electrical engineer. When we left Houston to move to Waco, I was making almost as much as him, almost 70K a year. I gave up my career and that money to move here and stay home with my girls.
After staying at home for 2 years, I had to go back to work b\c we needed the money, but there aren't any O&G co.'s here so I worked as an administrative assist to a pastor at a large church. I got to see how things work behind the scenes at a church and wow, is that an eye opener. Well, that church anyway. (Someone said, "It's like seeing the kitchen of your favorite resaurant, it kind of ruins it.")
I worked there a year and a half and had to quit. I didn't agree with many of that pastor's ethics and was tired of being treated like a second class citizen, being a woman in a Southern Baptist world.
I worked a few different type jobs and left my N-husband 8 months ago and then just finally got a decent job working as a GIS Technician here in Waco. It doesn't pay nearly what an O&G co. would, but it pays better than all the other jobs I have worked here in Waco. So I am working my way back up. I choose to stay here in Waco b\c I want Grace to be with her Mom and her Dad and I like living here rather than Houston. But to be with my daughter, Grace, I have to deal with this ASSHOLE N-husband and it is sooooooooooo hard. He's trying to drag out the divorce so he has control over me as long as possible. I know mediation would not even work. I told my lawyer, just take it to the judge, I have got to get on with my life. I am tired of this consuming my life. Once a settlement is made, I pray I will not have to deal with him as much. We are both at all of Grace's events in her life, so I see him several days a week. We're at softball practice, sb games, school plays, you name it. And he looks at me like I'm crap laying on the ground. I wish I could just walk away, but for the sake of my daughter, she needs me if she is going to have any type of a decent influence on her. Otherwise she will grow up just like him. Please help me, give me some words of consolence, something.
Oh, and I went NC with my N-father 8 months ago too and NC with my N-mother about a month ago, most of "our" friends were at church and he still attends there, so they are "his" friends now I guess. I am so lonely and depressed. This great job I am at is my only saving grace right now. God knew I would need this to get me through this time. Of course my N-Mom just sent me one of those Happy Mother's Day emails and I just want to puke!

Anonymous said...

Friday the 13th part IV is probably the best installment of the series, and the sociopathic killer Jason can symbolize the relentlessness and predatory nature of a malignant narcissist. Like all narcissists, he wears a mask that hides the withered, worm-infested reality. He finally gets it when Tommy, the child protagonist shaves his head to look like the younger Jason, a moment of narcissistic reflection that distracts the killer before he gets whacked from behind. And of course Jason, like the narcissist, always survives for the sequel and the hunt for fresh victims. And didn't Jason learn his tricks from his n mom?

Anonymous said...

Whoa! A few weeks back I just happened to come across the series Firefly at Amazon.com. We are currently wrapping up the last DVD on loan from Bbuster. What a series!! I cannot believe it was canceled. Well, I guess if folks like me watched it when it was on, then it wouldn't have been doomed. I have yet to tell my husband about the movie Serenity. That's my little surprise secret to him. He thinks the last show we watch will be the end and last night he made the comment that he hopes "they knew the show was being canceled and they wrap up loose ends." He'll be surprised when they don't! I LOVE that show. I catch myself talking and thinking "folk" talk. ;-)

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Alien movies, but never saw #4. Ripley is my hero -- "Get away from her you b-tch!" -- strong women rock! My kids are young, but.......they know all about the alien that attaches to the face and then comes out the stomach. They've never seen the movie, but mom(me) has told them all about it and it's part of an "alien game" we play (I'm a bit twisted). I can see my kids having their own blog some day, but it'll be about how I damaged their psyche with my "alien game". ;-)

The TV show 24 is GREAT! We don't watch much TV, but we are so looking forward to the season premiere. It feels like it's been forever since we saw a new show! Eye candy, Tony, is coming back, but this time as the bad guy. I can't wait! ;-)

This was a fun post! I think I might check out some of your other suggestions. We seem to have somewhat similar taste, however I also like those sappy romantic movies and twisted comedies. Also I'm a huge Star Wars fan, sans the opening day movie premiere costumes and role playing.

Jenny

Anna Valerious said...

Hey Jenny,

It's fun to hear from another person who appreciates the Firefly series and bemoans its untimely demise! We can cry together. I like that you're holding Serenity as a surprise for your husband. Cool.

You must have well-adjusted kids to not be too terrorized by your "Alien" game. Ha. You're my kind of twisted.

I also have a goodly list of other movies I like that fall into the romantic comedy category. But this post was specifically answering to someone's request for butt-kicking movies so I didn't include my favorite romance, comedy or other-genre movies.

Between you and me...have you checked out "Hellboy" with Ron Perlman? I really like that movie. The underlying message of that movie is a great moral lesson: It doesn't matter if you were designed by evil minds to be evil yourself. You get to choose. Hellboy makes a choice against his "destiny" and throws in his lot with humanity to fight big evil. I recently watched the sequel that is in theaters right now. It is good too although I didn't think it was quite as good as the first. It dragged a bit for me the first half of the movie. But if you like the first you'll want to see the second one.

I think I need to do an update on this post soon and make some additions. Like the "Bourne Ultimatum" and a couple of others. Thanks for the reminder of this post by commenting on it. You really need to check out Alien 4. I would love to hear what you think of it after you watch it. You like Firefly ... you'll really notice Joss Whedon's influence in Alien 4. His humor is unmistakable.

Anonymous said...

No, I've never seen Hellboy. Honestly I thought it was a sequel to a really disturbing movie I saw in the 80's called Hellraiser. It's a very disturbing horror flick. Now this "hell" movie sounds a little bit more like something I can handle. That's a really interesting premise for the movie - Hellboy doesn't have to be like his parents. He's can choose to go in a different direction. I think I could use a movie like that right about now! I will add it to my list!

I'll definitely let you know when I watch Alien 4 and yes, definitely update your movie list!